Summer is here! Bonding time is fun, but keeping your littles entertained while you juggle work or your sanity can be tough. We’ve put together a great list of fun, low cost activities for kids around Austin this summer. If you hear the words, “I’m bored!,” opt for one of these great trips:
1. Nature Nights at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center: Nature nights are free, family friendly events featuring presentations, hikes with experts, and nature crafting for kids of all ages. Check out their schedule for more information on times and topics.
2. Barton Springs Pool: This three acre pool is fed from underground springs and perfect for a summer dip with the kids. Children under one are free, and there is a reasonable fee for kids and adults. Be sure to check out their site for times and fee schedules.
3. Hat Creek Burger at the Domain: The Domain Northside just got family friendly with the addition of this location's Hat Creek Burger! Did you know that they also serve $2 pancake meals? My family of 5 and I were able to eat a hearty breakfast for about $10! Not to mention their incredible new playground, complete with a playhouse, slide, and trailer. Even better? You can order ahead! Use code “MotherhoodWritten” for 10% off your order!
4. Austin Zoo: This wonderful rescue and rehab zoo lets your kids explore the animals up close, and even features a fun train ride complete with hill country views. There’s also plenty of shaded spots for those hot summer months.
5. Splash Pads: We are a big fan of splash pads! Check out Free Fun in Austin’s great list of free splash pads around the city to see which ones are closest to you! Or take a fun day trip and explore a location a little further from home.
6. Ride the Zilker Zephyr Train at Zilker Park: Zilker Park is a family favorite, featuring a beautiful and spacious playground with an adorable train ride that your kids will love. Be sure to check out times and rates on their site.
7. Alamo Drafthouse Summer Kids Camp: Did you know that the Alamo Drafthouse locations offer low cost movies for kids throughout the summer months? It’s an affordable way for families to entertain their littles and watch great movies together. Check out their options and schedules here.
8. Ice skating at Chapparal Ice: Though this is technically indoors, sometimes we just need to beat the Austin heat. For public skating schedules and rates, check out their site.
9. Explore Austin Art: We are so lucky to have so much gorgeous street art here in Austin! Free Fun in Austin compiled a great list of street art around the city. Check out their guide.
10. Toybrary: Toybrary is a lending toy library for children ages 6 months to 5 years. Your kids also have the option to stay and play to slide, dress up, read books, and more. Check out their site for more info! It’s a great summertime activity on a hot day.
What do you think, Austin parents? Are any of these favorites on your Summer Bucket List?