Though it feels as if the holidays just came to a close, Spring Break is fast approaching here in Austin. Many families are opting to travel out of state or even internationally, but for many, this might not be an option. Work schedules and budgets can make Spring Break seem more stressful, but it doesn’t have to be! Even a small staycation with your kids is a great way to make memories without breaking the bank. Whether you’re opting for a unique day trip or an overnight somewhere that feels a little further from home, here are five great staycation ideas for families in Austin:
1. Lake Travis Zipline Adventures: Located in Leander, Lake Travis Zipline Adventures is nicknamed "the best adventure in Austin!” With three hour long zipline tours and even a Night Flight option for the thrill seekers, this staycation will make you feel as though you’ve been teleported to an exotic destination outside of Texas. Participation is for kids ten and over, which makes this a great trip for the tween crowd and up. Make a weekend trip out of it and stay over at one of the Luxury Rental Cabins!
2. Waco, Texas: Waco is less than two hours from Austin and offers fun activities for the whole family, including the Cameron Park Zoo. Families can cruise through the Brazos River Country or enjoy the reptiles and African Savanna. There’s even a fun playground! Waco is also home to the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum with some interesting exhibits for kids. No trip to Waco would be complete without seeing Magnolia Market at the Silos, where HGTV stars Chip and Joanna Gaines offer some great places to shop and eat.
3. Hyatt Lost Pines: Located close by in Cedar Creek, Hyatt Lost Pines provides a fun escape for kids of all ages. Families can kayak, ride horses, or hike at nearby Bastrop State Park. Hyatt even offers a spa for mom, eight on-site restaurants to make meals easy for kids, and a water park featuring a lazy river! You just might feel as though you’ve left Texas.
4. San Antonio, Texas: Just under two hours away depending on your exact whereabouts in Austin, San Antonio is far enough to feel like a vacation, but close enough for a day trip. There are many fun activities that both kids and adults will love, one major choice being the River Walk. You can take a boat ride down the river or just walk along and enjoy the charming restaurants and shops. San Antonio is also home to Six Flags and SeaWorld, as well as the San Antonio Zoo, Aquarium, and the popular Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch. If you’re staying overnight, Hyatt Wild Oaks offers great fun for the whole family.
5. McKinney Falls: If you and your family love the outdoors, McKinney Falls is a 641-acre park featuring over 80 campsites with water and electric hookups. There are also screened shelters and even a group dining hall! McKinney Falls boasts many outdoor activities, including hiking, mountain biking, bicycling, swimming, wildlife observation, and birdwatching. Onion Creek, about 1.7 miles through the park, also offers swimming and fishing. There’s also a great Junior Ranger program to help kids learn about nature.
Do you have another staycation idea that your family loves? We want to hear about them!