The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays. It’s during peak summer (my favorite season), and it also happens to be my mom’s birthday. I love celebrating her (and America) by making the day even more special. Here are some activities you can do with your family on the 4th of July!
- Firework art- You can make your own fireworks using construction paper, glue, salt and colored water. First draw some fireworks shapes with the glue on the paper. The sprinkle the salt over the glue. Last, drip the colored water onto the salt (or use watercolor paints and a paint brush) and watch the colors melt and swirl around like magic! You can also make firework art by taping a piece of paper to the bottom of a salad spinner. Drip some paint inside and start spinning your art!
- Giant bubbles- If you have a bucket, some Dawn dish soap, and a couple more things, you can create magic! Check out this YouTube video for the full how-to.
- Any good 4th of July celebration needs a fun, sparkling drink! Make lemonade, but swap out the water for something fizzy like Lemon La Croix. Then add frozen berries for “ice cubes”, and everyone will love it!
- Make an American flag craft by painting craft sticks and gluing them in the shape of a flag.
- Watermelon art- Have some fun with snacks! Using a star-shaped cookie cutter, cut out pieces of watermelon into stars. Then skewer them onto long kebab sticks, lining the rest of the stick with blueberries.
- Of course you have to wear red, white, and blue on the 4th, so why not make your own tie dye tee shirt to wear that day! Take a plain white tee shirt, dip one end of the shirt into red dye. Leave the middle white, and dip the other end of the shirt into blue dye.
- Set up a flag scavenger hunt for the kids. You can find cheap mini flags at the dollar store. Hide as many as you can around the yard (kind of like hiding Easter eggs). Have the kids run around and find them!