There is nothing more I enjoyed as a child than getting lost on a good book. Unfortunately, not everyone is lucky enough to have access to books. This summer Nurture My Child is partnering with Bookspring for our 'Kids Helping Kids Campaign' to promote early literacy. Keeping children reading throughout the year (yes, this includes summer!) has a HUGE impact on their school performance.
A few literary facts and tips or you:
- If you read one book a day to your child, by the age of 4 you will have enjoyed 1460 books together!
- Children who are given access to books over the summer perform 35-40% better on reading achievement tests compared to those with out access to books.
- Have your child read (or read to them) 20 minutes per day! On average that equals ~1.8 Million words per school year to help expand your child's vocabulary, and sets them up to be more successful in school AND life!
- Reading ability is like a muscle. If you don't exercise it often, you will not maintain the same level of reading ability as you get older. So - 'use it or lose it"!
Help Us Promote Early Literacy for ALL Children:
Nurture My Child is working with local summer camps to coordinate book drives to collect new/gently used books. These will go directly to BookSpring Go who distribute the books where they are needed the most in our local communities.
What you can do:
- If your child is attending a summer camp, let them know about the book drive Nurture My Child is doing and ask if they would like to participate.
- Contact us directly to participate as a family or local community. Contact us at: email@example.com for more details